Over the past 10 years or so there has been an explosion in our understanding of the digestive system and we are still only beginning to scratch the surface. Developments in how we can now analyse bacteria in the gut and the rest of the digestive system means that we are now able to see the systemic effect that bacteria has on the rest of our physiology. It is said that we have around 2-10 times the amount of bacteria in our body compared to the number of cells in our body, that’s a lot of bacteria.
Did you know...
- 20% of the UK population suffers from IBS symptoms at some time during their lives, and 5% are chronic sufferers. It is more prevalent in females.
- Laxative sales in the UK are multi million £’s per annum.
- The ideal bowel transit time is less than 24 hours.
- In adulthood, all our vitamin K needs are provided by our own bowel bacteria.
- There are more bacteria present in the colon than there are cells that make up our own body.
- The repercussions of poor bowel function may be seen throughout the body in a wide range of health problems.
If you have gut health problems, then there are a variety of products and that can help. Book a consultation to find out more...